16 January 2010

Links Roundup

Whilst traipsing 'round the internet (I use the verb and preposition figuratively, of course), I have happened upon several web-sites that I find quite interesting. I post them here in hopes that you might enjoy one or several of them.

Thesaurus Precum Latinarum, a collection of Latin prayers with English translations. It's notable for the sheer number of prayers, both ancient and (relatively) modern.

Anglo-Saxon Aloud, a collection of many texts in Old English (with audio files!). Much of the Bible is included, as are other interesting texts. I find it fascinating to hear this language, so close and yet so far from our modern tongue. Now I know what the Rohirrim are supposta sound like...

Some industrious and enterprising Anglican came up with St. Bede's Breviary, a handy widget for when you need a dose of sweet sweet Book of Common Prayer.

And, to round out this web-post, here's some web-logs that might be worth following:
Strange Maps: strange maps
The Hebdomadal Chesterton: he's not always right, but he's always worth considering
If Flannery Had A Blog..., the world would be a very different place
Hark! A Vagrant: well, not really a 'blog, but rather comics. It's sometimes uneven, but I refuse to condemn any comic strip that (pretty accurately) deals with Beethoven and his nephew Karl.

No comments:

Post a Comment