04 January 2010

The Figge

Yesterday I visited the Figge, in Davenport. It's really quite a nice collection, certainly far better than I was expecting in a metropolitan area as small as the Quad Cities. There's a Dürer, and a Brueghel (the Elder). And the Mexican Baroque collection is very fine indeed.

Still, I have not yet come to an understanding about abstract art. There is a logic implicit in representative art: viz., its purpose is to portray its subject. When this telos is abandoned, we're left only with what the art makes us feel. (That's not to say representational art shouldn't make us feel things; indeed, it should. When it doesn't, it isn't art.) There's some abstract art I like very much; there's some I find to be quite without a point. The problem is that I have no reasonable gauge for thinking so, now, do I? I suppose all art can be appreciated to the extent that it takes some skill to create, but then we're left with the difficulty of appraising those works that neither represent anything nor demonstrate any sort of skill. Maybe a red circle on a white canvas makes you feel something; maybe it means nothing at all to me. But you'll have to explain the justification for paying thousands of dollars for it. Abstract art—even the good stuff—has led us into the thickets of subjectivity. This may not be a bad thing, but it is certainly not a comforting thing. Perhaps that is the point.

3 comments:

  1. Consider a musical analogue: ska (or whatever weird jazz improv have you). I couldn't tell you the point of any instance of it (though the general point may entail the subjectivism you discuss), and I'm pretty convinced that there's no communal catharsis at work. But regardless of all that, I'm still loathe to say that it isn't artistic. As for what makes it artistic, that seems a question for aestheticians beyond my ability and artistic experience.

    What makes non-representationalism worth money? My sense is that artists (et al) make it big by obeying Pound's dictum to make it new. Having done that, the public collectively slaps the New Critics and Barthes in the face, treating authorship as the most significant value-adder on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, hear hear, to your post regarding FPR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'd wondered how music might compare. It's clear that most of the best music is not programmatic (which is to say, not representational).

    I still have a sneaking suspicion that Barthes might've been right. Or perhaps I just dislike authors.

    ReplyDelete