30 November 2012

"Patron Saints of the Unnecessary"

The Adoration of the Magi, German, c.1470
For some time now, I have been interested in the Magi, among other New Testament characters (e.g. Pilate, the three women on Easter morning). And lo, I encountered an interesting observation about the Magi in an article (of uneven quality, but worth a look-see, I think) on Evelyn Waugh's Helena, which I have not read but hope to read someday. The Magi, "attended by what outlandish liveries, laden with such preposterous gifts" (except the gold, perhaps), represent, in some way, all of us artists who offer our gloriously useless gifts: of music, of art, of words. Helena, the title character, addresses the Magi: "For His sake who did not reject your curious gifts, pray always for all the learned, the oblique, and the delicate." That's not a bad prayer, I think. Certainly we learned, oblique, and delicate sorts need prayers as well.

(My dear reader will forgive this blog-post better suited to Epiphany, I hope, even though we are not yet even in Advent. The church musician is always planning ahead, anyway. I have music planned through the new year, and am feverishly envisioning an organ recital for Transfiguration Sunday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment