09 November 2012

Beards

...sicut facies barbam, quam non esse munimento, sed virili ornamento...
Augustine, De civitate Dei, XXII, §24

Due to a combination of laziness, climate, and sensitive skin, I have resolved to attempt growing facial hair (viz., the beard sometimes called the "Verdi"). This is, in fact, the second time I have tried such a thing; the first essay, conducted one Lent during my undergraduate years, was a resounding failure. I am beginning to wonder whether this attempt might be equally unsuccessful. Unexpected facial hair is a conversation starter, to be certain. People feel no compunction about commenting on it. But my experience has been that most people, rather that ask "Oh, you're growing a beard, eh?", will ask "Oh, you're trying to grow a beard, eh?" I have received donations put forth for to buy me a razor (jokingly, har har). Nevertheless, I hope to persevere, until I am either successful or so obviously misguided that shame compels me to shave.

3 comments:

  1. Commit and go forward. Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! Very well: with the blessing of the Church, I shall continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that I'm particular, but me in the razor camp. Shave and a haircut: $10.

    In fact, let me do one better. When you finally relent, I'll pay for straight-razor and real-shaving cream shaves for the both of us. Possibly they allow cigars and scotch at such places. The more anachronistic, the better.

    ReplyDelete