21 August 2010

Regarding New Acquaintances

Well, school is about to start again here at Notre Dame. The bevy of preparatory activities includes several events designed to help the sacred music students better get to know each other. (It being only a two-year program, we lose half the people we knew last year and must acquaint ourselves with the newbies. That is the technical term, "newbies", correct?)

I find meeting new people to be an intimidating prospect. People you know are at least used to your foibles; with established acquaintances there is the illusion of knowing each other. With new people there's no set of attributes you can comfortably attribute to them (easily, or fairly, anyway). I am, of course, pessimistic that any two people can really know each other in a deep sense, but it is disarming nonetheless to not have even the impression of knowing someone. There is some consolation in the fact that organists tend to be good-natured (if eccentric) types.

* * *

In other news, it seems Sufjan Stevens has released a new EP in a sneaky manner: he hadn't announced he was working on it or anything. You may give it a listen (or even purchase it) here. I rather wish Mr Stevens would move away from all those artsy types in Brooklyn and move back to the Midwest. Need one live a bohemian lifestyle to produce art? I certainly hope not.

1 comment:

  1. Newbie?

    I'm the perpetual extrovert, I guess. I'm content alone if it's by choice but I give way to destructive behaviors if it's because I'm unknown. I love meeting new people. Maybe I'll never see them again. Maybe I'll make a terrible impression and they'll hate me. Or maybe I'll marry them--maybe they are my new best friend, the new best thing in my life. The possibilities are too wonderful not to be risked.

    ReplyDelete