29 December 2009

The Left End of the Porch

For all the things the Front Porchers get correct, there certainly are a lot of stupid comments made there. (Environmentalism equals communism, for example. Or, Obama is Kenyan.) Every few weeks, upon becoming enraged by an assortment of asinine comments posted at FPR, I resolve to stop reading the site. And then I see something like this article, which reminds me why I started reading it to begin with.

All the same, I'd say there's a dangerous amount of teabag-level crazity present among certain commenters. It's my humble opinion that we need a few more people on the left side of the Porch (like Mr Russell Arben Fox, one of the few posters sane enough to admit that de gummint isn't intrinsically evil). I tire of the self-righteousness of those reactionary Front Porchers who assume a localist attitude must necessarily entail belief in the One True Church (whichever particular brand they prefer, be it Papist, Greek, or Calvinist), complete denial of the Democratic party (communiss, all of 'em!), and disdain for any culture beyond that of small-town America. I will not forsake Bach and Mahler, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment