14 October 2009

Dispatch from South Bend

Here in South Bend all the nicest-colored autumn trees are turning, which is pleasant. Now it's long-underwear weather, a development in which I rejoice.

I've made a habit of dining at Dagwood's Sandwich(e) Shop(pe), not too far from campus. It's overpriced, and I'm not entirely comfortable with its association with a mediocre comic, but the food isn't bad. I always order a chicken caesar wrap, which neatly removes the one thing I dislike about eating salads (viz., using a fork. I have always found eating lettuce with a fork to be a needlessly inefficient enterprise). A few more weeks of this, and I'll be able to walk in and order "the usual" and the sandwich artisans will know what to make. The fountain drink dispenser at this particular restaurant, in case you were wondering, emits a drone at the pitch of the G above middle C.

That's the news from South Bend, where all the women are strong, all the men are unemployed, and most of the children are considerably below average.

No comments:

Post a Comment